University of California – Santa Cruz, CA
Masters of Games and Playable Media – 2017
University of California – Berkeley, CA
Masters of Information Management Systems/ HCI; 2002 – 2004
Berkeley-Stanford Vertex Innovators Challenge Finalist (funded)
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, MI
Bachelor of Science in Cognitive Science & Neurosciences; 1994 – 1998
tools and languages
Game Engines/ Tool Kits: Unity, UnReal, Google ARCore
Prototyping and Graphics: Blender, 3D Max, Maya (model editing), Omnigraffle (wireframing), Sketch (visuals), Invision (app prototyping);
Standard : Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
Anita Wilhelm Designs, January, 2011 – present Project Specifics
Director : Product Design, Research & Strategy
- Working with start-ups and OEMs:
- Projects : P2UX – Experience Design and Product Management (current); General Motors – User Experience Strategist, Global Connected Services & Infotainment (2016); RepairPal – UX Designer/Strategist (2015); LiteBrite Immersive – UX Designer (2014); Urban Airship – iBeacons Technical Product Manager/ New Product R & D (2014); DocuSign – Mobile UX Lead (2013); Fig Mobile – UX Director (2012); HP/ Palm – UX Strategist (2011)
Samsung UX Innovations Lab, Aug, 2011 – June, 2012 – San Jose, CA,
UX Lead Strategist : Infotainment
- Conceptualized new cloud-based infotainment platform which spans phones, tablets, TV, desktop, and scanners.
- Designed first new mobile games and apps for platform : Children’s Chore Game, Family Emergency Locator; Family Calendar.
- Product specifications and game logic, business strategy, and UX Wires.
- Managed design and worked with user researchers, business strategist, and visual designer to define concepts.
- Family mobile wallet patent drafting and research.
Fjord GmBH – October, 2008 – October, 2010 – Berlin, Germany
Service Design Lead (Manager)
- Service Design Lead for Fjord GmBH. New products for clients: Nokia Social Location Services, Volkswagen R & D, and Deutsches Telekom R & D.
- Design Lead : Managed teams of designers and developers (up to 12) for client projects, creative execution, and project implementation.
- UX Designer (within Nokia) : Designed developers API toolkit and building blocks, as well as internal social services.
- Responsible for both project creative direction as well as internal project management and budgeting.
- Involved in hiring visual and ux designers to grow the agency, as well as created new business pitches, deep market research dives, and creative design patterns.
- Deliverables: product definiton, roadmaps and backlogs, strategic presentations, pattern visualizations, ux wires and specifications, project reports, performance reviews of team members.
scanR – May, 2005 – Jan, 2008 – Palo Alto, CA
Mobile Product Manager
- Product Manager Jan, 2007 – Jan, 2008; UX Designer May, 2005 – Jan, 2007
- Responsible for design and development of all mobile clients for new mobile photo based service, including BREW (Verizon and Kddi, Japan), Java (ATT and open-ware), Mobile Web, Symbian (Nokia), and Windows Mobile.
- Create interaction and visual designs of all mobile products.
- Develop prototypes and conduct user testing of handset clients.
- Managed app store submission processes. Coordination of engineering and QA progress to ensure on-time client delivery.
Caterpillar Mobile – Sept, 2004 – Jan, 2007
Co-founder – Product Design & Strategy
- Designed and created Caterpillar Mobile, with technical partner Jeff Towle, based on mobile social research conducted at UC Berkeley.
- Drafted all business strategy and product roadmaps for mobile social media sharing and gaming platform.
- Presented business plans and lead all interactions with outside parties and investors.
- Created all product design documentation: personas, competitive analysis, information architectures, screen and widget designs for mobile consulting clients.
Graduate Student Researcher – May, 2003 – May, 2004 Old Work Portfolio
UX Design Lead
- Lead UX Designer for Garage Cinema Research : Mobile Media Metadata Project.
- Designed system interface and researched image sharing and meaningful image metadata acquisition based on social network effects and image processing technology on first multimedia smart phones (Symbian – Nokia 3650).
- Yahoo! – Berkeley Labs and Caterpillar Mobile spun off from this work.
publications/ talks/ advisory
Each, Inc – Design Advisor. Creating a system for connecting orphaned children to homes in third world countries. Working with gvm’t agencies and VeryNice Designs.
Mindtoon Labs – Product Advisor. Teaching meditation practices through games and meaningful play. Available in iTunes.
March 7-11, 2008 – SXSW Interactive Advisory Board (Mobile vertical) – Advisory board member for SXSW Interactive Conference. Involved in speaker/ panel selection process for ”Mobile/ Wireless” area.